COF Grant Planning Meeting for McKinley Square
Thursday, May 24th, 6:30pm - 8pm, Potrero Hill Library.
Richard Drechsler, Tom Strother, Marjorie Goodwin, Joseph
Moore , Jane Westfield, Kelly Dennehy,
Jacob Gilchrist - SF Rec & Park COF Program Manager, Steve Cismowski - SF Rec & Park, Maria D'Angelico - SF Parks Alliance, John Merten - Studio Green
Jacob GilChrist went over details of Community Opportunity Fund Grant.
Grant is from 2008 Clean & Safe General Obligation Bond which
covers improvements since year 2000 are eligible as matching towards
Jacob explained grant is for capitol expenses, not
Meeting then focused on applicability of the 15 items from Community
Planning meetings list. Items in bold italic
are planned be on this COF grant application.
needs to determine costs, locations, and prioritize .
1. Remove foxtails(YES but maybe as
match, not as part of grant. ) - as foxtails are largely preventing
use of the hillside, and thus for the park for its designated use, it
will be explored if it can be made a capitol expense.
2. Manage Existing Trees (Not part of this grant)
3. Southwest fencing - (Not part of this grant) Would be
Cal-Trans responsibility, would increase size of hillside usable area.
4. Reforestation plan - (Not part of this grant)
5. Vermont St Path (Stairs) - (YES)
Investigation / planning will need to occur in next 4 weeks. Wood or
Cement or ? (Need to verify this does not trigger ADA)
6. New Pathway connections (Not part of this grant application.) For
area beyond current Cal-Trans fence.
7. Native planting & wildlife
habitat improvement (YES, part of grant, plants and resources will be
8. Improve irrigation water access - (NA) Park & Rec will do, but
not part of grant application.
9. Benches on hillside. (Can happen now), Community just needs to pick
spots for benches
10. Benches on upper lawn area - (Can happen now), Community just
needs to pick spots for benches
11. Improve Signage - On Park & Recreation to do list
12. Install lighting - (Maybe) This
item did not have strong consensus at this meeting, but did come from
community planning meetings so this item may be lower priority for
13. Metal handrails on entrance stairs, (In progress) Park & Rec
work order is on its way
14. Kiosk at park entrance (YES,
will be part of grant)
15. Drinking fountain on hillside ,
middle trail. Yes but community is to decide where. ( French drain,
does this trigger ADA?)
Jacob will provide a time in his office hours to go over 2011
COF Application to provide feedback on what we did well, and how we can
improve our COF Application this year.
Long term investigate Nature Pave for middle (and other?)
In the next week, (Wednesday evening?) there will be a meeting to pick location of
drinking fountain, bringing in additional members of the community.
Investigation will take place if item 1) foxtail removal can be
made a capital expense.
Details on stairs will need to be designed.
Details on lighting (if to have them part of this grant request) will
need to be determined by priority and matching funds criteria.
Contact John Paul Scott of mayor's office if any of this
All items on COF grant application will need to be budgeted and
Thanks again, we have some work to do, but I have a lot of confidence in
our ability to make this a success.